I am itching to make headway on the many decorating updates and projects I have planned for our home! I haven’t given much thought to New Year’s resolutions, but decorating is always on my brain! :)
I tend to take a long time to put a room together. I come up with a vision for a space and then take my time locating items that go along with my vision. I used to purchase an item simply based on cuteness factor, but then I ended up with a closet full of small accent rugs and decorative pillows (none of which really go with my home’s decor). I always try to sell or get rid of something in our home before bringing something new in. Andy calls me his “Craigslist queen.” :) We space out our big purchases, and in the meantime I often make small updates, such as updating our guest bath towels or hanging a new print in our bedroom. Some of the notable changes to our home are:
2012: moved in / 2013: purchased new living room sofa, recliner and end table, purchased used credenza and desk / 2014: hired my uncle to paint our kitchen cabinets white, purchased two accent chairs and two end tables / 2015: installed shelving unit in the den, purchased an antique sideboard for the dining room, a living room rug and a desk
I’m hoping to make some of the following changes in 2016:
- new lighting in the entryway, kitchen and dining room
- complete our upstairs guest bathroom by changing out the shower curtain and hanging a piece of art
- complete our queen-bed guest room by adding new floor-length curtains, a new side table and new placement of existing art
- install privacy shutters on our kitchen windows
- complete my office by adding ONE MORE COAT of paint (ugh), finding a comfortable and affordable office chair and finalizing placement of wall decor
- replace curtains, bedding and wall decor in the master bedroom (my vision so far: soft, natural, simple)
- replace living room curtains
- somehow re-upholster and repair the dining room chairs that have been in my family for generations
- strike it rich and hire someone to paint our stairwells, main floor and master bedroom and bathroom
I think I’m most excited to replace the lighting on our main floor! Stay tuned for a round-up of lighting options.
What are some of the updates you’d like to make in your home? It’s not too late to purchase a specially-priced design service (or to put a service on your Christmas list)!